1. drive a car around Bali Island without a proper driving skill. It was in 1992, I remember going down the hill with full speed, till my friend told me that we don’t have to be so rush. Lucky that we never get into accident but on the way back to a hotel, I hit a pole near the entrance.
2. borrowed a mobile phone from a stranger. That time (1997) mobile phone is still a rare thing. I missed to make a call to my roomy from the bus terminal because must catch the next bus right away. I was a bit sick and need my friend to pick me up. I heard a white man in the business suit who’s sat 2 row behind me talking on his mobile phone. I dare my self to ask and it’s a miracle that he let me use it. He even dial the number for m since I don’t have any idea how that works.
3. hold an Orangutan in the forest in Kalimantan in 1993. To get to that area we have to take a boat trip, and stay in a very simple facility. I remember it was a female Orangutan and it’s quite heavy.
4. Take a day visa at Narita airport (on my way to US in 1994) and met my friend at Shinjuku. I try to get the Visa from the Japan Embassy in Jakarta, but couldn’t. I was wonder what to do waiting 8 hours in the airport to catch my next plane to Boston. When I arrived, I saw the counter for a Day Visa. I went there to try and get it in no time. I buy a bus ticket and go staight to Shinjuku. Eat lunch at McD with him, took a walk around, pass all the shops, big and small, buy some small stuff, and hurry to catch the 2 o’clock bus to the airport. It’s true that everything is on time in Japan, so if I miss that one, I will most likely missed my plane too.
5. Hitchhike (present time). When my husband drive a pick-up car sometimes there are people stop us and ride in the back. So I think why not do the same thing. I took my kids once awhile for an adventure, then on the way back, I will stop a pick up car and get a free ride. I did it once to a motorcycle together with my daughter.
6. dived in an open sea without diving licence. My friend and I did it in Bunaken (North Sulawesi) and Sepa Island (Thousands Island, Jakarta). This was happen between 1992 -1994.
7. get my pager back from a man who rob me in the bus. This happend just a couple months before my wedding in the year 2000. It was night time when I got into a bus, only 2 men on the bus other than the driver and his assistance. Suddenly the 2 men moved closed to my seat and one took out a knife and tell me to give him my valuable things. They took my pager, necklace and watch. People started to get in the bus, they make they way out, but I went to one of them and reach out for my pager from his pocket. Since there are many people they didn’t dare to do anything, they jump out and lost in the night.
8. a trip to Europe by myself. I was study in the US at the time and our Church have a conference in Paris in 1995. I could have go with the group but I prefer arrange my own trip and accomodation coz it’s cheaper. I went to Paris, stay there for couple days, Went around the city by myself, try to figure out the transportation system, made it to Eiffel Tower. Took the train to visit my relatives in Holland for a week, They took me to many places. Then back to Paris, and fly back to the US.
Maybe those are not too crazy for some people, but for me it’s already way out of my comfort zone. Most I did in my single years (1990 – 1999), only one after I got married and have kids.