Finally I read this book. It’s been awhile since I work at Lentera, I’ve been wanting to read it. It only took 3 or 4 Bus ride for me to finish it, because is not too thick and too difficult to digest it. I even read it twice just to get a better understanding.
things that I learn about this book:
1. It was written while OJ Simpson was on trial, and funny because that year I was happen to be in Boston area. I could imagine while I was walking in Harvard Square or attended ESL Class at Milton, the writer is somewhere nearby typing the story.
2. I like the idea of having “Living Funeral” where Morrie had his friends over and share about him while he was sick. Because he realized it was no use to say all the good thing about someone after they are died. The person must get a change to hear it.
3. The way Morrie let people involved in the last part of his life was so amazing. he didn’t let himself to be grumpy and self pity about his sickness, but take the time to share with family and friends. I really hope I will never be in that situation but If I must, I want to learned to be like Morrie.
4. Then I got to think If I am Mitch who is Morrie in my life? I never really have older friend who teach me or guide me like that. But I can make time to listen to an older people in their dying bed and wanting to share their life, story, and conviction
5. Like Morrie who regret he didn’t get a chance to forgive his friend and Mitch who try hard to have a relationship with his brother in Europe, Is there anybody I need to forgive or reconcile? I remember my husband Yudi went to Surabaya and spend time with his father before he died, but I didn’t get a change to spoke to him and say sorry for my misbehave while we’re together.
6. Morrie didn’t have an extravagant Bucket list. When Mitch asked him what will he do if he got one fine day. his answered mostly to spend time with his close friends and family and enjoy the day. He didn’t even want to go back in time and be young again, because he’s been there and he like the person he turn out to be.
7.I guess this book purpose to make someone not afraid but to enjoy his/her life even as he knew the end is approaching very soon.